Sunday, November 20, 2011

Things to Know if You're New to Early CJ5's

  • The tire lug nuts are NOT "lefty-loosey" on the drivers side.  To loosen, it's CLOCKWISE on the driver's side, and counter-clockwise on the passenger side.  Good thing the PO mentioned this when I bought it or I would have surely broken a stud.
  • The lid to the oil filter compartment leaks unless it is torqued down very tight.  When I first changed the oil filter and fired up the engine, oil went everywhere (of course it was in the garage at the time, so 2 hours to clean up that mess).  I thought I must have twisted the gasket, but no, it was perfectly seated, and the contact between the lid and cannister seems OK.  The only thing that seemed to stem the flow from underneath the lid seemed to be just to keep tightening.  Given the number of bolts I've already broken on this thing, this makes me really nervous, but I see no alternative.  Next time I have it off I must remember to measure the torque that does the trick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment