Saturday, November 19, 2011

Suspension Tear-Down, Part 1

Starting the tear-down for the suspension rebuild.  Here's what the driver's side rear looks like before:

And here's what it looks like after removing everything except the axle:


It was a 3-1/2 hour PITA to get this far with hand tools.  Every single nut was corroded and frozen.  I hit everything with PB Blaster once a day for a week before starting, but I don't think it made much difference.  I broke the front pivot bolt and one of the U-bolts for the driver's side rear leaf spring -- neither is a big deal since they will be replaced.  However, I also broke the upper shock mount on the rear passenger side:



Note the shock mount is one piece welded to the frame, so this poses a problem.  I think I'm going to try grinding it smooth and then tap what's left of the mount to accommodate a new retaining bolt.   

No comments:

Post a Comment